Friday, February 1, 2008

Flashback Friday: Beantown in '00

When I first heard of doing a "Flashback Friday" blog post every week I thought it would be a great motivator to encourage me to scan in some of my oldest photos so that I could save them for posterity in digital file formats. Growing up, I loved to look through the yellowed pages of my grandmothers' photo albums, and ideally, someday my future grandchildren will have the pleasure of making fun of my hair and fashion choices by simply turning on some electric device.

Anyway, I have totally slacked at the photo scanning and for my last several Flashback Fridays I have had to rely on the images available on a slideshow I had to make for my 10-year class reunion last summer. I am working off limited material, people.


This photo below, while not groundbreaking or particularly interesting, is at least a glimpse into what I looked like as a soon-to-be child-bride.
The summer before my senior year of college, I packed up my bags, used 1991 Apple Powerbook laptop and fake ID (if you knew me back then, you'll know I answered to the name of Pam Rodriguez) and headed to the East Coast where I roomed with one of my best friends, Tori, in a very old, very dirty fraternity house.

We lived here with some very smart, some very socially awkward MIT frat guys but the killer location and views of the Charles River and Boston skyline made up for it. Plus, sometimes there was free beer.

I enrolled at Harvard for the summer where I experienced serious culture shock, considering that my classmates at SUU would often roll into class late and dirty from working on their farms and my fellow Hah-vahd students rolled into class tardy because their family's private jet took a bit longer than expected returning them from the beach house.

Zach and I got engaged that summer, much to my nearly-40 and single professor's dismay. While getting hitched in your early 20's is common in the Beehive State, it turns out it's not so much standard procedure in the REST OF THE WORLD. Who knew?


Z flew out to visit and help me move back home and I had a great time showing him around my temporary digs. We tied the knot the next summer.

Z & Me in Harvard Square. Because I was private-jet-less and beach-house-less, I actually had to work at a job to support myself. The three-story brick building over Zach's left shoulder was where I punched the time clock, the Harvard Coop. Basically, one of the coolest university book stores ever known to woman. They even have a Clinique counter in there. And a Starbucks.


8 comments:

Teri said...

I had no idea you went to Harvard. You'll never be the same in my eyes again. So much more elevated. And cool..... do you even want to be my friend any more?

Daybreaking Dickersons said...

She isn't that cool Teri, look at the jeans she was wearing...

Cichelli said...

I was going to post a comment about those jeans and D beat me too it, damn it.

Miranda at Marz Haus said...

I will have you guys know that those are a pair of Express' finest. I think I wore them until they had multiple holes in them. Or maybe I wore them because I had to pay all that tuition and couldn't afford to buy anything else...

Natalie said...

I wish you would have told the stories of the mice and your disgusting frat house - but maybe you were saving that for another time.

Those jeans are hot. don't let D or A tell you otherwise.

Natalie said...

And yes, you were a child bride. Something I will never be. Damn. My life goal shattered. Forced to work for a living and shunned at most family functions because I have no significant other. My life is so difficult.

Justin and Jill said...

You guys are so cute! I love your Flashbacks.

I couldn't agree with you more on this whole winter thing. I find myself yelling at the weather people whenever they predict another storm...which at this point is every other day. We need to go to dinner soon. What's the next couple weeks like for you?

The Miller Family said...

I don't know enough about fashion to comment on your pants, but Z looks about 12 in that photo...are you sure he was of legal age to marry?